CANARIE strengthens Canadian leadership in science and technology by delivering digital infrastructure to support world-class research that directly benefits all Canadians.
CANARIE and its twelve provincial and territorial partners form Canada’s National Research and Education Network. This ultra-high-speed network connects Canada’s researchers, educators, and innovators to each other and to global data, technology, and colleagues.
Beyond the network, CANARIE funds and promotes reusable research software tools and national research data management initiatives to accelerate discovery, provides identity management services to the academic community, and offers advanced networking and cloud resources to boost commercialization in Canada’s technology sector.
Established in 1993, CANARIE is a non-profit corporation, with the majority of its funding provided by the Government of Canada.
Who We Are
We’re a small team of dedicated thinkers, innovators, and problem-solvers. Our team is positive, passionate, and collaborative.
We work with Canada’s higher-ed community, private sector, and government partners to ensure that Canada’s bright researchers and entrepreneurs benefit from the technologies and tools that are critical to their success. Together with our partners across the country, we work to ensure that Canada leads in research and innovation.
The Position: Cybersecurity Analyst
The Cybersecurity Analyst is accountable for CANARIE Security Information and Events Management (SIEM) system administration, support, and Security Operations Center (SOC) operations.
This is a full-time, permanent position that reports to CANARIE’s Director, Cybersecurity.
- Work collaboratively with the National Research and Education Network (NREN) and institutional Cybersecurity Specialists on CANARIE Cybersecurity Program-related tasks including incident response, sharing of technical expertise, developing security processes, and security reports generation
- SIEM monitoring of CANARIE internal infrastructure, in collaboration with the IT Team, Network Team, and the provincial and territorial partner teams when necessary
- Administration of security appliances
- Improving security posture by participating in the implementation of collaborative initiatives with the National Research and Education Network partners
- Technical support within CANARIE Cybersecurity Program Initiatives
- Providing after-hours cybersecurity support on a rotating basis
- Domestic and international travel may occasionally be required
- Other related duties and responsibilities, as required
The Ideal Candidate
To excel at CANARIE, you have a demonstrated capacity to work collaboratively on teams and are also an energetic self-starter with the self-motivation to work independently. You have excellent oral and written communication skills, and can count time management, problem solving, and managing multiple priorities as your strengths. You also share a dedication to CANARIE’s core values: service, teamwork, innovation, quality, and integrity.
Relevant experience in publicly funded not-for-profit organizations is desirable. Bilingualism is preferred.
What You Bring
Education and Experience
- College diploma or university degree or a suitable combination of education, experience, or other relevant training
- Two or more years of progressive IT security experience, with exposure to Security Operations Center (SOC) environment
- Knowledge and experience with information system architecture and security controls (i.e. firewalls, operating systems configurations, databases, information security policies, and procedures)
- Knowledge of application security best practices, tools and methodologies
- Demonstrated ability to gain trust and credibility from internal and external stakeholders
- Proven experience installing and configuring open-source software
- Experience with SIEM operations, Incident Response and Vulnerabilities Assessments
- Strong working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite
- Relevant security certifications are an asset
Come Work with Us
If this seems to be the right fit for you, please send us a note and your resume to email@example.com, and include the position title in your subject. We thank all applicants, however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.